Sunday, April 29, 2012

Preparing to move...


I had my last day of work on Friday.  I wasn’t as excited at the start of the day as I expected because I don’t think it felt quite real yet.  But by the end of the day, though, I could feel excitement for what lay ahead as well as gratitude for the first four months successfully coming to a close.  

I am spending Monday and Tuesday volunteering in the local bakery’s kitchen hoping to learn a few things.  Tuesday night I’ll eat my last meal with the family here, and I’ll have the day on Wednesday to finish packing, clean the cottage, and then take a 6pm bus out of Feilding.  I’ll arrive in Paekakariki at 8pm, and then I’ll have a few days rest with my new family before starting my new job on May 7th.  Busy week ahead!

I’ve been packing this evening.  I’m not good at getting started, but since I’ll be gone the next two days and I leave for Paekakariki on Wednesday, I figured I'd better start!  When I was preparing to move to NZ in December, I was determined not to pack the day before I Ieft.  What did I do?  Packed the day before I left.  It’s a denial coping mechanism I believe- if I don’t start packing, then moving isn’t really real.  Even when I’m moving somewhere I’m looking forward to going, it’s still a stressful process and packing seems to bring that out.

I also spent some time today researching groups to join in my new village.  Ahh, social life :)  That really got me excited to have a new start.

I'll update on the move and getting more familiar with my new village once I've had time to settle in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment