Moving to New Zealand was outside of my comfort zone. Probably why I had been saying I wanted to come here for over five years without any action. Sure, they speak English, have a passion for agriculture and are part of the Western world, but it’s still very different. And very far away from home!
I wouldn’t say I’m completely comfortable here yet, but it’s definitely improving. What amazes me is how my comfort zone has been expanded since my arrival. What does a vegan group, a gay couple, and a church group running a bakery all have in common? People that went out of their way to be kind to me, a young foreigner in obvious need of a friend.
Tonight, I was feeling the need for a little extra comfort. I had been asked to babysit late the night before leaving me tired and grumpy, and I had been feeling just a little down on this rainy day. I decided to stop in at the bakery/health store looking for a pick-me-up, and I was not disappointed. I decided on some homemade coconut granola for my comfort food supper and a few other goodies. I decided ONE gluten/dairy free cookie wouldn’t hurt, so I asked if they had any individuals for sale. As it so happened, they just made a batch and had a few wounded ones to generously offer. I walked out with three slightly smudged, delicious, make-my-day cookies. Not once has anyone mentioned me visiting their church, but when I brought it up today, I was not only warmly invited to attend, but to join them in their luncheon and walk afterwards. Saturday plans!
I am so grateful for my bakery and the extreme kindness of every single person I’ve encountered there. I’ve never walked out of that place anything less than radiant. Eating my granola tonight was eating love in a bowl.
I am also incredibly grateful for my comfort zone. It’s not huge, but it’s growing. Best of all, it’s growing because I’m meeting people very different than myself who have done nothing but extend thoughtful kindness to a stranger.
No comments:
Post a Comment